So what are essential oils?
– They are the volatile fluid inside of plants
– They operate similar to blood, in the ways they help the plant.
– They help the plant heal, repair itself, fight infection and disease (and carry out around 10 major functions in the plant).
– They are also the fragrance of the plant.
– Many plants in the world have essential oils inside of them (about 5% of the total plant population).
How are essential oils made? When a plant is harvested, the part of the plant that contains the essential oil (It could be the leaves, stem, roots, flower, etc) is put into a huge metal still and steam is pushed through the at certain temperatures, pressure and length of time. When the steam rises, there is a component that separates the “floral water” from the essential oil. This is called distillation.